404 forum

Discussion about 404

Back to the main 404 site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Posting rules
  • Please do not post solutions to puzzles, but rather post hints as appropriate in response to queries
  • Type [spoiler] ... [/spoiler] around the outside of any hints so they can't be read by accident - e.g. [spoiler]have you tried looking at the corner of the page?[/spoiler]

#1 2019-11-18 23:20:44

winterer

Notice

I have found four words, but "computer says no".

Spoiler

Did I shift by the right amount? Or should I shift left?

Spoiler

Or are the four words another clue, as the last word has four letters?

#2 2019-11-19 08:27:24

doublecross

Re: Notice

Spoiler

I don't think you have the right words as the last word doesn't have four letters

#3 2019-11-19 17:00:16

winterer

Thanks, found it.

I was using the wrong units, and thinking too complex. Funnily, the phrase I found sounded valid, which got me stuck.

#4 2020-02-05 22:01:42

Cpostano

Very confused...

Spoiler

The first word and number I get is Max 7, so I shift 7 words from max and I get capital....am I on the right track or am I doing something wrong? The four words I get from following this approach are not correct according to the computer....

#5 2020-02-15 15:13:16

racketaddict

Cpostano wrote:

Very confused...

Spoiler

The first word and number I get is Max 7, so I shift 7 words from max and I get capital....am I on the right track or am I doing something wrong? The four words I get from following this approach are not correct according to the computer....

Spoiler

Max is the correct starting point for the first word - but dont move 7 words along - you need to shift something else by 7. PS If this helps maybe you could return the favour & help me with 37 please?

Last edited by racketaddict (2020-02-15 15:18:07)

#6 2020-02-15 20:21:59

Cpostano

racketaddict wrote:
Cpostano wrote:

Very confused...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Max is the correct starting point for the first word - but dont move 7 words along - you need to shift something else by 7. PS If this helps maybe you could return the favour & help me with 37 please?

Spoiler

Not really, I tried shifting spaces instead of words and the first word I got was of, following that approach still didn't give me the right answer....any other hints?

Happy to help on 37, where are you right now on the puzzle?

#7 2020-02-15 21:31:26

racketaddict

Cpostano wrote:
racketaddict wrote:
Cpostano wrote:

Very confused...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not really, I tried shifting spaces instead of words and the first word I got was of, following that approach still didn't give me the right answer....any other hints?

Spoiler

You need to carry out a Caesar shift on each word and that should get you there. As for 37 I have removed the appendix - I am guessing I need to put it somewhere and it will point to some letters. But where do I put it? I have tried the colons on this page and also the pins on the surgery noticeboard at the back of the book, but no joy with either. Also if you have got up to 44 and can help me on that one that one I would appreciate it. I have done all the others up to 55 apart from 37 & 44 if you need any other hints

Last edited by racketaddict (2020-02-15 21:33:34)

#8 2020-02-15 22:01:29

Cpostano

racketaddict wrote:
Cpostano wrote:
racketaddict wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

You need to carry out a Caesar shift on each word and that should get you there. As for 37 I have removed the appendix - I am guessing I need to put it somewhere and it will point to some letters. But where do I put it? I have tried the colons on this page and also the pins on the surgery noticeboard at the back of the book, but no joy with either. Also if you have got up to 44 and can help me on that one that one I would appreciate it. I have done all the others up to 55 apart from 37 & 44 if you need any other hints

Spoiler

Thanks, I'll give that a try! As for the appendix, it looks like it was torn out of a spiral notebook, so if you put it "back in the notebook" on 37 you will see a new message form that will be a clue to what you need to do on the other page. Give that a try and let me know if you're still stuck. Thanks again!

#9 2020-02-16 21:12:56

Cpostano

Cpostano wrote:
racketaddict wrote:
Cpostano wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks, I'll give that a try! As for the appendix, it looks like it was torn out of a spiral notebook, so if you put it "back in the notebook" on 37 you will see a new message form that will be a clue to what you need to do on the other page. Give that a try and let me know if you're still stuck. Thanks again!

Did that help? Also, I coukd really use some pointers on 43 as I am completely lost on where to even begin.....

#10 2020-08-27 13:55:21

AcidBurn39

Spoiler

I get these extracted
max
+7
arena
+17
up
+25
abjurer
+13

What to do next?

#11 2020-08-27 14:25:07

Administrator

AcidBurn39 wrote:

What to do next?

Spoiler

You've correctly taken the information from all the lines with a character immediately following the '>', except for one...

The instruction you need is on that line.

Or if that still doesn't help you, the final hint that the solving interface provides will tell you what to do.

#12 2020-08-28 07:07:33

AcidBurn39

Spoiler

Is the line: "Please follow  the shift course accordingly" the line you were talking about?

But what to shift?
I got: max+7= capital
arena+17=amendment
up+25=of
abjurer+13=city

Computer says NO sad

What am I missing here? Help please. smile

Last edited by AcidBurn39 (2020-08-28 13:28:38)

#13 2020-08-28 14:05:41

AcidBurn39

SOLVED!
Big Hiint!!

Spoiler

switch letters in each word as the number given
so for example: m+17=
a+17=
x+17=
write down alphabet and switch accordingly
You will get a phrase smile